Security Guard Courses
NYS Division of Criminal Justice (DCJS) Approved Training Courses
New York State law requires registration and training of security guards in the state. The DCJS Office of Public Safety provides administrative oversight for mandated security training and approves security guard training schools. The New York State Department of State Division of Licensing Services has oversight responsibility for the registration of all security guards.
The following courses are the only ones required to become a security guard in New York State:
- Security guards are required to complete an 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course prior to applying to the Department of State for a Security Guard Registration Card.
- That course must be followed by a 16-Hour On-the-Job Training Course for Security Guards within 90 days of initial employment as a security guard.
- Guards also must complete an 8-Hour Annual In-service Training Course for Security Guards every year.
Security Guard Licensing Package
- 8-Hour Pre-Assignment
- 16-Hour On-The-Job Training (OJT)
- NYP Licensing Application
- Background/Fingerprint Appoint